QT Melbourne, the leading design hotel in Australia’s hipster capital
QT Melbourne the leading design hotel in Australia’s hipster capital has unveiled a new Secret Garden, a kitchen garden oasis hidden behind the popular Rooftop at QT bar and lounge, which now hosts exclusive garden-to-table culinary experiences.
Inspired by time spent at acclaimed restaurants throughout Australia and around the world, Executive Chef Andy Harmer has overseen the transformation of the hotel’s rooftop garden into an intimate, industrial green space that demonstrates QT’s commitment to sustainability. Having grown up in the English countryside, Harmer’s passion for food began at a young age as he watched his parents tend to their kitchen garden and create family meals using only the freshest seasonal local produce.
Every day, Harmer and the team at QT Melbourne pick a selection of vegetables, herbs, flowers, and fruit from the garden, using freshly picked produce in dinner and dessert dishes at Pascale Bar and Grill, as well as for garnishes in an assortment of handcrafted cocktails. The fresh produce grown on the rooftop garden ranges from unique native flavors to relatively unknown plants, including:
- Fruit Salad Sage – Soft, large-leafed sage with a fruity aroma known for its intoxicating fragrance
- Karkalla – A native succulent that adds a salty kick and juicy crunch to fish dishes and salads
- Native River Mint – A smaller, more delicate relative of more well-known mints like peppermint and spearmint
- Blue Lily Pilly – A plant found around the eastern Australian rainforest regions, which produces edible blue-purple berries that are crunchy and light with a mild sweetness
Beyond being a self-sufficient produce source for the hotel’s restaurants, The Secret Garden at QT Melbourne can also be transformed into the ultimate event location, including the following unique culinary experiences for 10-25 guests:
- Chef’s Table: An exclusive experience for up to 10 guests with Executive Chef Andy Harmer creating a personalized menu with matching wine, cocktails, and spirits. Highlights from the menu include Asparagus, Truffle & Stracciatella; BBQ Marron with Secret Garden Sorrell and Wagyu Tongue Dressing; and Rose Veal with Almond Gazpacho and Secret Garden Radish. Prices variable depending on package selection.
- Camp Fire: This interactive two-hour experience includes guests’ own private QT Chef and a selection of shared dishes, complete with their own private bar set up in the Secret Garden. Priced from $100 per person for up to 25 guests.
This is an exciting development for QT Melbourne, both working with the incredible produce we have available on the rooftop garden, and now being able to open that space to the public and have them experience it in such an intimate and educational way is something we’re really proud of said Harmer.